"What We’ve Lost"
From the employees perspective they reported
- 65% of employees feel LESS connected to colleagues and workflow
- 42% feel knowledge flow is reduced
- 51% report communication flow is limited
- 36% of respondents report Ad Hoc meetings are down.
And the analysis also showed a 25% reduction in the number of coworkers employees remained in touch with leading one of the co authors of the MS study to caution.
“When you lose connections, you stop innovating. It’s harder for new ideas to get in and groupthink becomes a serious possibility.”
– Dr. Nancy Baym, Senior Principal Researcher at Microsoft
And more generally,
“In light of these findings, companies will need to take proactive measures to try to help workers acquire and share new information across groups, so that productivity and innovation are not impacted,”
Remote work is making productivity and innovation harder, says Microsoft study